Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Module 15: Self Portrait



I visited a Gallery virtually since I could not make it over to the Albright Knox Gallery. Here are the inspirational artworks I found.

Title: Simon Bolivar
Artist: Jose Gil de Castro
Media: Oil on canvas
Year: 1823
Size: 510 x 655 cm
Gallery: Museo de Arte de Lima in Mali

Title: Self Portrait (7)
Artist: Amrita Sher-Gil
Media: Oil on canvas
Year: 1930
Size: 72 x 92.5 cm
Gallery: National Gallery of Modern Art

Title: The Laughing Boy
Artist: Robert Henri
Media: Oil on canvas
Year: 1910
Size: 20" x 24"
Gallery: Birmingham Museum of Art


1. Why did you select the inspiration pieces?
I chose these three pictures because they are what a typical portrait of oneself would look like. I chose the last two pictures because not all portraits have to be serious just like Simon Bolivar is in the first painting.
2. Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait?
I chose using a pencil because its the media I feel the most comfortable with. I find that using a pencil is easiest for me to have control over and I have the ability to make parts of my face dark or light depending on shadows.
3. What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them?
Whenever I draw portraits, its usually of other people. I never really looked at a picture of myself and tried to draw it. I lack the skills on how to draw people, I have a hard time just getting the shape of the face down.
4. How does this piece represent you?
My piece represents me because I'm always smiling. I take lots of "selfies" so I find myself laughing because this is a typical picture I would take.
5. What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work?
I used value because there are light and dark shades from the media I used, and I also used emphasis considering my face is the focus of the picture.
6. Did you enjoy working on this project?
Yes, I enjoyed working on this project because as I said before, I never draw myself so it was interesting to see the comparison of the real picture to my own drawing.
7. What do you think of your final artwork?
I think my final artwork was awful! I have come to the realization that I am not very good at drawing people, or self portraits. I tried really hard to make it look like myself but it did not go the way I imagined it would! I still thought this project was enjoyable.





No comments:

Post a Comment