In the video, CARTA: Evolutionary Origins of Art and Aesthetics, I learned about:
- discovery of symmetry, discovery of symbolism and the discovery of artistic composition.
- art and aesthetics are:
- works of art = artefacts, human productions; specialized for intersubjective communication
- distinct from language
- esthetic efficacy
- art is in constant evolution
- the human brain and how differently everyone interprets art
- dynamic thought // social and cultural evolutions
- conscious reading vs. non conscious reading
- Eight Laws of Art
In the article, What the brain draws from: Art and Neuroscience, I learned:
- our human brain is wired in a way that we can make sense of lines, colors and patterns that help us recognize art
- lines and faces
- color vs. luminance
- "what" and "where" streams -- "what" allows us to see in color and recognize faces and objects while the "where" is a faster and less detail-oriented but helps us navigate our environment but is insensitive to color
3. What I learned from the video is when Changeux studies art, he goes through explaining the processes of what the brain goes through to create a piece of work. Ramachandran studies visual aesthetics, explaining the Eight universal Laws of Aesthetics. He also included symbolic descriptions and transforms and explains that acts of perception involves judgement on what the eye actually sees. The most interesting fact is learning a whole new way of thinking and seeing the perspectives of someone else.
4. The videos and article relate to the readings in the text because our brains function differently allowing us to look at images differently. Without another view or someone else's perspective, I would not be able to look at something a different way or be able to relate to that person.
5. I enjoyed the films and having a new understanding of looking at art. I also enjoyed learning a little about the history of different artists/philosophers. They add depth because it includes more details and a better understanding of how art is created.
No comments:
Post a Comment