A. Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?
1. Room No. 2 or the Mirrored Room by Lucas Samaras. 1966. Mirror on wood.
Although it is kind of difficult to see exactly what this room looks like, it is clear that its just a room full of mirrors! This piece of artwork was unbelievable to see and not only could you look inside the room but you can also walk through (with your shoes off, of course)! I really had to look so closely inside the room because in the middle there is a table and chair that is also made of mirrors. This artwork made a huge impression on me and was by far one of my favorites at Albright-Knox!
2. Cinema by George Segal. 1963. Plaster, illuminated Plexiglas, and metal.
This caught my eye with the bright flash of white that made it the center focus of the artwork. I love that "Cinema" is in bright red to stand out from the plain white color surrounding it. This made an impression on me and I was staring at this piece for a quite a bit!
B. Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
1. Untitled. Olivier Mosset. 2002. Acrylic on canvas.
I felt connected with this piece of work because it reminded me of my childhood when I always played tic-tac-toe with friends or family.
2. Lac Laronge III by Frank Stella. 1969. Acrylic on canvas.
I felt connected to this painting because it was big and also had a mix of vibrant colors. I am always drawn to things that are bright and colorful. When I look at this painting I see petals which remind me of flowers, which I love! I also see and "X" and "O" that connect together.
C. Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?
1. Child's Blue Wall by Jim Dine. 1962. Oil on canvas, wood, metal, and light bulb
When I saw this piece of work I was immediately drawn to the single light bulb in the right corner. I was curious of the story behind this artwork so I looked it up and the artist, Jim Dine, had a love of physical objects from working in his father's and grandfather's hardware stores in Ohio. I'd also like to see more of his artwork and what objects he uses to emphasis his pieces of work.
2. Star by Robert Indiana. 1962. Oil and gesso on wood with iron wheels.
This artwork screams "wild west" to me and reminds of cowboys in a way. When I saw that the artist's last name was "Indiana" I immediately thought of Indiana Jones, who also relates to that wild west theme. I would also love to see more of Indiana's artwork to see if he has a theme with all of his pieces he's done. I really love that he included wheels in this art to make it look more "western".
No comments:
Post a Comment