1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie Style
This video was very interesting a few concepts I learned was that Frank Lloyd Wright is famous for his structural designs in making horizontal planed roofs on houses. His first prototype was the Tomak House. I also learned that he started designing family houses in the Chicago suburban areas in 1890 through the early 1900s. His way of designing houses is unique and he utilizes not only the space that is in the house but also the space surrounding the house. Ron Thom is an architecture who's ideas were inspired by Wright's. One interesting fact I learned is that most houses designed or inspired by Wright includes fireplaces that are in the center of the house, and also houses are built/designed to follow the sun.
Architecture: The Science of Design
In this video I learned a glimpse of what it takes to build really high skyscrapers. It requires different foundations and based on factors such as wind, weight (weight of the building including weight of the people inside of it), and the furniture inside the buildings. Many tall buildings sway back and forth, and a model that was shown on the computer uses a probe to detect data to see if the structure of the building will be equipped to handle such occurrences.
2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
The videos relate to the readings because it talks about structural systems just like in the book. For example, weight is a huge component when designing a building. Walls must support the weight of the roof and lower stories must support the weight of the upper stories.
3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of Architecture?
I highly enjoyed watching the films because it gives you a better understanding of how skyscrapers are built and how wind and other occurrences such as snow, rain, and thunder all take part in how a building is structured. And in the Wright video, it was cool to see how the inside of the houses are differently designed and built than the houses we have today that are built.
4. Why did you choose the films that you watched?
I chose Frank Lloyd's video because I know there is a House Complex of his in Buffalo and I wanted to learn more about his type of houses that he has designed. I think it was a cool video and made it even more interesting since his work is popular here in Buffalo.
I chose Architecture: The Science of Design randomly and after watching a few minutes of the clip, I was really interested to see how different houses are made and how hi-tech they can become.
No comments:
Post a Comment