1. Explain why you selected the video you choose from the selection listed above.
I chose The Measure of All Things: Greek Art and the Human Figure because after watching the first video of how we or artists interpret the human body, I wanted to learn more about it and saw that part of the title included "human figure".
2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
In the first video, I learned that many cultures have different views on how they look at the human body or what the human body should look like. People are dominated by images that aren't realistic. The example used was Venus Von Willendorf and it was then that we had our first clue as to why our world is so dominant and our mind is distorted with images of how our body should be. Venus' body was unrealistic because her face wasn't shown and arms were not visible. The video included more discussions of how cultures perceive human art.
In the second video, I learned that power and feeling can be felt or were conveyed through sculptures that artists made. I learned that the Greeks were obsessed with the human body.
3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
The videos give a glimpse of how cultures have different perceptions on how they view the human body and what art can do to enhance the meaning of human art. The chapters give a more detailed background of how specific cultures view body images and the human figure.
4. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?
I enjoyed watching the films because I have a better understanding of why some body sculptures look a certain way. I learned a few more aspects of the human form. There are many cultures who view the human body differently than most but its interesting to see the many ways that the body pertains to art.
No comments:
Post a Comment